- 1 cup hibiscus tea
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup honey or agave syrup
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 tablespoons silver or gold tequila (about 1/2 cup or 4 1 oz shots)
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- Sparkling water - optional for non-alcoholic version
- 1/4 cup Himalayan pink salt
- Sliced lime
- Bring 3 cups of water to a slow boil on the stove or in the microwave.
- Reduce heat and wait for water to stop boiling, then CAREFULLY pour the heated water over the hibiscus tea in a glass bowl or large measuring cup. Steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the hibiscus tea into a medium saucepan, discarding the tea leaves.
- Bring the tea mixture to medium high heat - do not boil - add the honey or agave and stir just until everything is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar with a tight fitting lid, fill about 1/2 way with crushed ice.
- Add Hibiscus syrup, lime juice, tequila and orange liqueur to the cocktail shaker/jar.
- Secure lid on the shaker/jar and gently shake to combine.
- Use a lime slice to wet the rim of the drink glass and lightly tap the rim of the glass into the salt.
- Pour equal amounts of the margarita drink into each glass and garnish with lime wedges.
- To make a non alcoholic version of this drink, follow steps 1-6. On step 7, add everything but the tequila. When pouring, leave a little room in each glass and top each drink with chilled sparkling water.
Serves: 4 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat 0.0 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 287.5 mg
Potassium 40.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
Sugars 38.0 g
Protein 0.0 g